Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
This is an official website of the Government of Flanders, published by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
This website www.vlaanderen.be/landbouw is run by the Communication service.
Koning Albert II-Laan 35, bus 40 - B-1030 Brussels
Tel. +32 2 552 77 00 - Fax + 32 2 552 77 01
Secretary General: JULES VAN LIEFFERINGE
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Flemish public authority, together with the Flanders’ Agricultural Marketing Board (VLAM), the Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research (ILVO) and the Strategic Advisory Council for Agriculture and Fisheries (SALV) make up the Agricultural and Fisheries Policy Area.
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries deals with the development, implementation, control and evaluation of all matters in the field of agriculture, horticulture, fisheries and the countryside. The department works in close cooperation with the Minister of Agriculture.
The department is led by the Secretary General and consists of following divisions:
- Special Assignments Team
- Organisation policy, Finance and Communication Division
- Policy Co-ordination and Environment Division
- Income Support Division
- Entrepreneurship and Development Division
- Sensitisation, Target Group Management and Plant Quality Division
- Fisheries Policy and Animal Production Quality Division
- Division for Agricultural Policy Analysis
- Digital Support Division
- Services Centre Division for Agriculture and Fisheries
The department’s main offices are situated in Brussels. The outdoor administrative units are situated in Oostende, Brugge, Gent, Antwerpen, Hasselt and Leuven.
The Secretariat-General consists of:
- the secretariat of the Secretary General
- the head of the Flemish paying agency
The Secretary General also presides the Management Committee, i.e. the body managing all entities of the Agricultural and Fisheries Policy Area.
The Special Assignments Team performs its activities in close cooperation with the Secretary General. Its activities both affect the organizational and substantive aspects having a specific impact on the department or on the target groups of the department.
On the basis of the European and Flemish global framework, we contribute to the development of future-oriented agricultural and fisheries policies.
We provide a quality service to the Flemish agro-food sector and give priority to primary producers.
Partner of the agro-food sector
In tomorrow’s countryside, being the partner of the agro-food sector, we contribute to the development of a strong and innovative agricultural and fisheries sector for the entire food chain. This allows us all to guarantee fair, healthy and delicious food, produced in harmony with our natural environment and our society.
- Tomorrow’s countryside: The context and changing tendencies expected on the long term
- Strong: Primary producers hold a strong position in the food chain. Their agricultural business are economically viable, competitive, resistant to crises and sustainable
- Fair and delicious: pursuing a fair price for sustainable quality food
- In harmony: there is a mutual respect between the farmer and society
You can rely on us!
Resilient in a changing environment
Having the courage to decide and moving ahead together